1. Aesthetic: The study of the mind and emotions in relation to the sense of beauty. How has aesthetic evolved over the years and how has it influenced fashion photography? What is your approach with aesthetic in your works?
The sense of beauty is one of emotions. So I believe that one’s sense of beauty depends on the living environment and a gradually accumulation of knowledge and living experience. In the present ear, the fashion photography is more and more close to our lives and in a other word it is a part of our lives. We share, we spread, and we propose the way of life through the photo we shoot.
In my opinion, I prefer some attributed of fusion elements in my work. I come from China, now living in Paris. My understanding of the fusion elements derived from Eastern and Western cultures, and I believe the fusion element is the future, which consolidate differences of world wild cultures. Secondly, in terms of art, I prefer the incomplete and destructive emotion. I believe we need to free up some space to relieve the feeling of oppression when people look at an art in the perfection. So it is why I said I need the elements of incomplete and destructive fused into my aesthetic.
2. Identity. “We contain multitudes,” wrote Walt Whitman, referring to the fact that we see ourselves in a different way depending on different contexts. Nowadays, gender and sexuality have been explored in many ways, from art to cinema and of course fashion. Fashion photography is a means to capture reality and changes within it. How do you reflect identity in your works?
I believe photography is an art behavior. But of course, it is very difficult to research independently by the point of view in fashion photography. Apart from the art photography, fashion photography is built on the business with inspirations from films, architectures, paintings and lives and mainly installed in one carrier. The fashion photography is the fastest, most convenient way to capture. So inspirations became the basis of the fashion photography. I tried a lot of experience or an art form, but not one can be directly as photography. So I put those inspirations by the form embodied in the re-creation and design of my photography. In this case I defined, my photography belongs to the scope of art design.
3. Beauty in fashion. “The best part of beauty is that which no picture can express”, said Francis Bacon. Fashion photography once depicted a perfect kind of beauty, almost false in its perfection. Nowadays, fashion photography focuses on imperfection and peculiar traits. Which is your relationship with beauty? How has the language of photography mutated in the past years?
In fact, I have already referred to the pursuit of beauty, I do not like the art in the perfection, and we need space to think. For now in the fashion photography, we do too much of the performance to express in identities or so-called special. I think this is relevant to the young cultural society. In the world of networking, it is usually to grab people’s attention as possibly fast. However, I think this is an impetuous manner in our society. We lost our patience to pursuit the natural sense of beauty, but we start to pursuit difference. So fashion photography in recent years is in such an atmosphere, and it is related to the era. For me, I hope I can keep my passion for photography, and express my own thinking. The difference is different in personal.
4. Sociology: the study of human behaviour. How is photography able to portray social changes? Is fashion photography a way to portray cultural changes within society? How have social and cultural changes influenced your works?
The photography is actually very simple. I show my own feelings through photography. If we define that photography is able to portray social changes, I think the definition cannot afford. Indeed, the social revolution influenced the fashion industry to change, mainly because of economic and lifestyle reasons. However, photography is the artists’ personal behavior that I shows myself, selfishly, I’m only concerned with my own feelings. Society is a land of nutrition from which I am grown and fed by knowledge and inspiration to express themselves through photography.
5. “This is me not being you”: an exhibition about identity, gender and change. How have your works expressed this feeling? How do you express your personal background through your works?
It is a very special exhibition, and the works mainly based on the young photographers. I went to the exhibition and my works are concentrated on my self- characters. I hope no matter in which form of arts to display, readers can reach my thinking and my work can ignite them start to think and it is the communication and dialogue through my work. When an artist finished a creation of work, I believe the remaining vitality is created by the reader and I am only very small part of my work. So it is not related to my background but my photo.
by Giovanna Pisacane